Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2012


I turned two on July 1, 1944. On July 4, 1944 my Mother,
my Father and I left Lithuania as the Soviets were about to invade Lithuania.

We fled West to seek Freedom and Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.


A few months later [picture] we arrived in Salzburg, Austria.
My Mom, Uncle Juozas, cousins Bruno 13, Irvis and Ziga 2 and me 2 are pictured. Uncle Juozas took his family to Australia much earlier.
Then in October 1948, we emigrated to the United States.
We arrived in New York City on October 30, 1948 and went on to Boston by train.

The next day we came to our final destination, West Bridgewater.
As Uncle John made his last turn on Spring Street,
I noticed a large water tower to my right and gasped,
"and now we are in America."

It wasn't until that moment, almost three day's after coming to the United States,
that the feeling of being FREE and safe hit me.

I was now six years of age.

Sixty nine years later after leaving Lithuania and I still get this wonderful feeling on July 4, February 16, and other days when celebrating Independence.

Freedom is not FREE - "and we are still in America." How Lucky am I.

Let Freedom Ring Here from Sea to Shining Sea and everywhere.
If it stops ringing Here, it will stop everywhere.

THE LITHUANIANS
http://www.thelithuanians.com/

No comments: